Happy Thursday! I wanted to share my version of Vegan Chili with you all. If you are from Texas, you know how much meat is a staple in many dishes. Chili is very much an iconic Texan food, just like barbecue and chicken fried steak. This version will satisfy the delicious flavor and texture of chili without the need for meat.
Ingredients: 4c vegetable stock, 2c water, 1c brown rice, uncooked, 1 can organic black beans, 1 can organic corn, 1 can organic crushed tomatoes, 1 jalapeno (optional), 1 small yellow onion, diced, 2-3 garlic cloves, minced, 1 tsp tomato paste, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp, chili powder, 1 tsp olive oil, salt & pepper. Diced avocado & chopped cilantro for garnish.
- If you are using jalapeno, pre-heat oven to 350* & wrap pepper in tin foil to roast. Roast for 10-15 min, until skin turns black & blisters. Once cool, remove skin & dice, removing seeds & stems to lessen heat.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic until fragrant & translucent.
- Add brown rice, saute for about 5 min.
- Pour stock and water into pot. Add spices, diced jalapeno, tomatoes & tomato paste as well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 1 hour, or until rice grains are soft.
- Add black beans & corn & heat through out.
- Serve with avocado & cilantro & a side of vegan tortilla chips!
Enjoy! XO, Bridget from Love Peace Family.